Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Earth Day Efforts

Every year, in April, our world celebrates our home, the Earth. Because our natural resources are not limitless, we must focus on reducing our consumption, reusing whatever we are able to, and responsibly recycling as much as we possibly can. I do my part. I turn off lights. I compost.

In my efforts to declutter my home and wardrobe, I regularly give away clothing that I do not wear. Last week, I pulled this sweater, handknit by me several years ago, from the sweater shelf and evaluated its continued presence in my closet. Epic failure. I never wear it because 1) the neck is too tight, 2) the arms are too short, 3) length? too short, 4) it is too wide through the body, 5) and too tightly knit on needles too small for the bulkiness of the yarn. Out that denim colored 100% wool sweater went-- in to the giveaway bag.

With Earth Day approaching, I contemplated the idea of recycling used sweaters to create new items. I've done it before. Felting wool sweaters I've found at the thrift store, I have designed and sewn bags and purses and given them as gifts to appreciative friends and family members. Once, I tried to unravel a sweater knitted with the loveliest yarn, only to discover that it had actually been cut and sewn from a length of stockinette knitting which made it useless to try to recover all those short lengths of yarn. My mind wandered to the giveaway pile in the front coat closet and I thought, "Someone will really score with that denim wool sweater."

Aha! Why can't that someone be ME?

I retrieved the sweater (I do love that yarn!), picked at the woven ends and unraveled the whole sweater. Six large skeins of curly, kinky strands.

I tried not to think about the fact that every one of those curls meant a stitch I had knitted once before. Thousands upon thousands of knits and purls.

Now I am hunting for the next perfect pattern to reknit the denim wool yarn into the next perfect sweater. This time, I will pay more attention to gauges and measurements. And in this way, I will be honoring Earth Day as well.

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous yarn! And so very like you to recycle a sweater. If you want to get rid of those thousands of curls, get the skeins wet and hang them with a weight at the bottom to stretch them out. You might find it easier to determine gauge accurately with smooth yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yarn is so beautiful... and great project for Earth Day, Willow! Can't wait to see what you make of this... :O) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to honor Earth Day. I need to be more careful about waste. We're good about recycling glass and plastic, but not so good in other areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you should post this now; I just dug out the linen atrocity I knitted last summer, with plans to go to my LYS today and frog the whole thing to knit something I will wear.

    And how did I not know you have a knitting blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new knitting blog!

    That's such a great idea. I must confess I'm not very motivated to frog and reuse yarn, but I've got this hat I've never worn and I'm wondering if it mightn't make a nice pair of gloves instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i spend the winter months free-form knitting/crocheting a crazy quilt with all the leftover yarn i've amassed over the last 40 years. even unraveled a couple of sweaters i'd made years ago which no longer fit my aging body. i love that quilt. my son loves it too, and i think it will be something he will keep from me and pass down to his own someday child. plus, i used up yarn instead of buying more. very frugal, very green, and very satisfying all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a gorgeous color... I love that you're saving the yarn! Looking forward to see what you re-create with this! :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. A knitter is never done!! Just like a true gardener is never done.
    I have unraveled more then I care to say and sometimes it works to knit with the "old" yarn, sometime it doesn't...Your yarn is scrumptious, both in color and texture.

    Apropos a gardener....I can't tell you how many times I have planted and replanted only to find out that sometime it works, sometime it doesn't. But with eagerness I never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is so beautiful, I have been so busy lately about life but let me share with you all about my health life experience with the great herbal traditional doctor that saved the life of mine and my dear husband.I was suffering from a deadly disease herpes and diabetes and i went through alot trying to get better each everyday of my life until I came across a testimony on blogs someone telling good about Dr Jekawo, a traditional herbal doctor that cure all kind of disease such as: herpes,diabetes,cancer,hpv,lupus,degenerative disease also bring back ex, and other spiritual consultations, I contacted him via drjekawo@gmail.com then he pepared the herbal medicines and send to me which takes 21 days treatment that cured my diabetes and herpes completely,I'm so grateful with the help he rendered to me therefore I promised to share his great works.Thank you and I hope this could save someone else out there.
    Karen Paul
    South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete