Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Thoughts on Knitting Limits

During my amblings around the internet, I recently came across the blog Minimalist Knitter when Robyn was a guest poster at Becoming Minimalist.

Minimalist Knitter got me thinking about how knitters tend to accumulate piles of yarn that never get knitted into anything.  Those luscious skeins of brilliantly dyed wool or bamboo or cotton lie languishing in bins, cupboards and drawers as stashes of forgotten acrylic snuggle in the plastic bags hidden in the guest room closets.  A total waste.What a pity. How sad.

Several weeks ago, I did tackle my yarn stash and eliminated a large bag of yarn I knew I would never use.

Another comment Robyn made was that as knitters, we should think about the kinds of items we normally knit and what garments we just don't enjoy working on.  I've been considering this and have come up with a short list of items that I seem to knit all the time.

Baby Sweaters.  In my defense I will say that I do have a grandson to knit for.  Additionally, nephews and nieces are starting to have babies. So my three favorite baby sweater patterns are being knitted over and over.  I don't seem to branch out much since these three sweaters are so cute and work up so easily.

1. Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket.  It's a fun knit, all in garter stitch with minimal sewing of seams.


2. Knitting Pure and Simple's Neckdown Baby Cardigan.  I've been knitting this sweater in its three sizes in various fibers, colors, stitch patterns for many years.  It's one of the most versatile patterns I've ever seen.

3.  Mason Dixon Knitting published a kimono pattern in a knitting book several years ago.  I knitted it up, changed the parts of the pattern that I didn't like.  Not liking the tapered sleeves, I switched the pattern to make the arms straight.  I also vary the front, changing from the V cross over opening to a straight front with a couple of button holes.

My knitting pattern choices are becoming more minimalist, as you can see.  I don't enjoy wearing fancy, trendy clothes and don't much like making them either.  Since I finished the master knitter's course, I don't feel like I have anything to prove in knitting up exotic patterns.  The beauty of minimalist knitting is that I can knit what I like when I like.

5 comments:

  1. Love the surprise jacket! I knit it over and over. And it's such a great way to use up odds and ends. Wish I could say I was minimalist but I'm such a sucker for pretty yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your minimalist ideas...they are definitely words to live by. After a few years of knitting, I realized my knitting pace wasn't keeping up with my purchasing pace, so I buy less frequently and have given lots of my stash away. The first thing to go was the acrylic, then the yarn that I knew I'd never get around to using. Now it's a comfortable amount that fits in the small storage cabinet of the spare bedroom. Master knitter or not, it's good to acknowledge and be aware of what you really enjoy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those minimal ideas are close to my heart, you know, Willow. :o) Earlier this spring I did a purge of my yarn stash--just too much yarn not being used and some not likely to be used by me. I gave some to my niece who is learning to knit, but the bulk went to Goodwill. It was actually great to tackle that stash and come to terms with it. I've pared it down and have been only purchasing yarn for specific things--like gifts or commissions/knit requests from family & friends. Simple, elegant knitting is my style. I'm eager to see this Minimalist Knitter link--Thanks, Willow! Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It does seem a waste of money when I consider the amount of yarn I have in my stash, except that at teh time it gave me pleasure and hours of wonderful creative energy as I dreamt about what I would make with it. Sometimes it still has the power to thrill as I find a perfect pattern or the colours gleam jewel like. Mostly though it needs to be rehomed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am destashing as I type. Ugh. I made a compulsive purchase at a garage sale and bought a truckload of acrylic yarn for baby blankets to be donated. The fabric is so unfriendly and yucky that I am getting rid of all of it. But my sock yarn. . . oh, that delicious sock yarn. I'm not ready to let it go.

    ReplyDelete